What are the REAL keys to effective team work? Answer these 22 questions to find out and see where your team can improve.
High-performance teams need leadership, mutual responsibility, compatibility of competence, sharing of work and an agreed approach to achieving a common objective. Some teams create charters about how we should achieve these things (open communication, respect, decision making processes etc…). And then there is the REAL stuff that awesome teams deal well with…
Here is a list of questions that you can use to assess your own team-ability. When you have the answers, ask yourself: What can we do to have a positive influence on this within your own team?
- How do we help people understand their roles and responsibilities?
- How do we deal with team motivation?
- How do we make decisions?
- How does our leader function in the team?
- How does our team deal with ambiguity and assumptions?
- How do we create team interaction?
- How do we evaluate our position as a team?
- What happens when we are under time pressure?
- How do we deal with frustration?
- How are we creative as a team within our own working environment?
- How do we deal with rules and processes?
- What do we do when things are not clear?
- How do we give each other constructive feedback?
- How do we deal with (lack of) resources?
- How do we create common understanding and a common vocabulary?
- What do we do with incompetent people?
- How do we encourage people?
- How do we get everyone involved?
- How do we react when things don’t go as planned?
- What happens when we really want to win?
- What do we do when our goals are not achieved?
- How can we be proactive as a team?
There are many other positionning tools available for teams including, for example:
I hope this post has been useful. Feel free to add comments.
Subscribe to this blog by entering your email address top/right…
If you have questions, mail me.
If you want more learning + development resources, follow me on twitter.
Thanks for reading!