Rick Lozano is engaging people. Correction: He is ROCKING people. Literally. With a guitar!
During ASTD2013 session TU100 we are learning about what the world of rock and roll can bring to training. Rick thinks that too much training is boring, dry and non-engaging. Here are 15 ideas inspired by rock concerts and the music world that you can bring into your training to create more energy:
- Send a trailer introducing the key concepts of your training
- Ask participants to introduce themselves by video before training
- Make a poster pointing the way to the room
- Shake hands with everyone at the door
- Have some music on when people come in the room
- Be creative with your materials, table gear, toys etc…
- Use Vine App during training – ask participants to make a random stop-motion video
- Gamify your training class by giving points for random things like showing up on time
- Get them taking pictures of each other during training
- Ask participants to go and record a mini-film (interview) of your problem on the work-floor, like a journalist
- Take requests from your participants – ask them RIGHT NOW what you can deliver, tell or give right now
- Get people to stand up. Do some energy-raising exercises.
- Do something different for a minute. Just a minute. Anything.
- Use pallet.com to collect ideas during training
- Create your own app with yapp.us so people can share their experience after training
The basic idea is that we can do more to engage people, thank them for their time and make learning more fun.
My first worry was that people in Belgium might not dig it and I can imagine a lot of my colleagues saying “It’s too American” or “We’re engineers… This is stupid”. Well, let’s just see about that… To something and see if you can bring a little rock into your learning world.
Thanks for the music Rick!