ASTD 2013 Session TU306: Practical Use of Social Media in Formal Learning
Posted by Dan Steer
On Tuesday 21st May 4-5.30pm I will speaking at the 2013 ASTD International Conference and Exhibition. My topic is the practical use of social media in formal learning. In preparation for that moment, this page delivers pre-session references with which participants can familiarise themselves. Following the session, I will use this page to list further references and resources for those interested in improving their formal learning with social media…
(This page is under construction, with regular updates)
If you want to join the LinkedIn group for ASTD2013 session TU306 please do. I started the learning prior to the session and it is continuing after, just as I would with any other formal learning moment, enhanced by social media.
There are many reasons to use social media in learning. Here’s a few ideas that will not be discussed in my ASTD 2013 session TU306:
Some interesting examples of social media in learning:
- BT “Dare-to-Share” project (video)
- A non-training example of formal learning using social media (blog)
There are some great books about specific social media tools, that I really liked:
- “Social Media for Trainers” by Jane Bozarth
- “How to Really Use Linked-In” – get your free copy here!
- “The Twitter Book” by O’Reilly and Milstein
I’ve made a few Prezi presentations on related topics:
- Infinite Learning for the New World of Work
- Social Media, Social Trainer
- Social Media for Social Learning
- How to Improve Formal Learning with Social Media
I will be adding more references here soon. Please bookmark this page. And don’t forget to email me to take part in the before/during/after social-media enhanced formal learning of ASTD 2013 session TU306 or to join the ASTD2013 session TU306 LinkedIn group.
ps – if you want to see all my blog-posts from ASTD2012 (I was a little hyperactive, as usual) check one of the links below… … or discover resources from other attendees on the ASTD2012 ICE collected back-channel resources page of @LnDDave :
- What my network expects from ASTD2012 ICE
- MS SharePoint as a corporate anti-firewall SoMe approach
- Aligning management development to today’s trends
- Learning Agility: the X-factor for future leaders
- ASTD and the content-crisis
- John Boudreau says HR has to change its approach
- HR needs to get commercial
- The perfect learning platform = mobile + brain
- Jim Collins goes from good to great ..by choice
- Jim Collins’ Top 10 things to do
- Sarah Bloomfield on the non-consulting mindset of L+D professionals
- Create or curate? That is NOT the question
- If you want to show value, you’ve gotta have business acumen
- Getting to the high-ground of innovation via jazz improvisation
- Onboarding Gen-Y: Breaking old habits to build new habits
- The Respect Effect rocks the Hard Rock Cafe
- ps, respectfully yours
- Increase learning effectiveness and engagement with Gamification
- Plenty to learn to keep up with the future
Thanks for reading!
Subscribe to my blog by filling in your email address in the menu on the right…
About Dan SteerWandering corporate trainer, learning and development consultant, conference speaker and professional El-Magico. I help people get better at stuff by creating and facilitating Infinite Learning © opportunities. The world would be a better place if everyone was doing what he loved and doing it well. I am working to bring out the "El Magico" in everybody. Training in presentation and communication skills, leadership, social media for learning and marketing, learning and development management + personal effectiveness.
Posted on March 14, 2013, in Learning Management and tagged @dan_steer, ASTD, astd 2013, ASTD2013, ATD, formal learning, improve learning, improve training, learning, social media for learning, social media for training, training, TU306. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.