Self-learning: Defining this competence for the future
If everyone is going to learn by themselves, we are going to have to help them. Any ideas on this at #ASTD2011?
Assume that @jpapakalos is right and the Facebook generation is going to go for self-learning. Does this mean that they are going to be any good at it? OK, they like to do things by themselves. But this doesn’t mean they will be successful!
If we are going to accept that people embrace social-learning, sharing and self-learning, we’re gong to have to make sure they are competent at it… Here is my first attempt at defining the self-learning competence:
- Able to set and follow-up on learning-objectives
- Knows own learning style and adapts self-learning process accordingly
- Able to identify and embrace Infinite Learning © opportunities as they arise
- Able to identify quality learning resources
- Able to successfully network in order to find useful information in a given environment
- Effective use of social-learning tools
- Understands the importance of knowledge-sharing and effectively contributes to “the cloud”
- Self-coaching, self-feedback and self-leadership skills
- Memory, speed-reading and concentration skills
- Ability to chunk-up, categorise and evaluate information
Your thoughts? Add comments!