According to Hungarian-American psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, being in flow is the key to real human happiness.
The pre-requisites for personal flow are:
- Inner clarity of mission and vision
- Clear goals
- Balance between challenge and skill
- Feedback about your performance
- Fully in-sync with work
- Intrinsic motivation
- Enjoyment and contribution
If we consider the Yerkes-Dodson performance law, being optimally stimulated (in flow) will yield the best performance, innovation and motivation.
So: If you want to create happiness and high performance/motivation and innovation in your people, you need to get them in flow!
The following is a list of ideas on how to get and keep people in flow at work, generated by PhD students during a leadership training session today:
- Make sure that people understand goals correctly
- Create a nice working environment, ergonomic, green …
- Be sure that people are aligned to the company environment, culture and attitude
- Give people space to work quietly on high-concentration work
- Give people the relevant technical and administrative support in order that they can concentrate on their core tasks
- Give people time and space to be creative and take initiatives
- Ensure communication is good and clear
- Have team building moments
- Give regular feedback to people
- Coach people
- Give people the opportunity to express themselves, for example: A questionnaire
- Sports facilities, power-nap, coffee, massage and zen-rooms
- Regularly check people’s workload
- Divide tasks to ensure that people are not over-stressed
- Get people together, so that they can get feedback from their colleagues
- Don’t leave “crisis situations” too long – ensure there is balance between challenge and skill level
- Get to know your people better, work on really understanding their needs and motivation
- Flexible working hours and home-working possibilities
- Give more training and development initiatives
- Give people responsibilities so that they can grow
- Relevant reward systems
For more ideas on flow at work, look at this short film: http://bit.ly/i6ioEd
Hope this was interesting! See you on www.infinitelearning.be or follow me on twitter…
(Feel free to comment…)
Ik use the concept of the flow in my training about time management. When you are working in the flow you lose the notion of time. I am a great fan of Mihaily.
Yes. A very dangerous thing for your family, if you are passionate about your job (like me)!!
Leave a comment