Trainees sometimes ask me: “What is the most efficient way to make a presentation?” Follow these 5 steps and you will know the answer… Objective, Audience, Message, Structure, Content !
- Clarify your objective to be sure what you want to achieve
- Define the audience to be sure you will say the right things in the right way
- Create a strong message that links your objective to the audience and creates impact and recall
- Build a structure that supports the message and is easy to follow
- Develop content in order to deliver the minimum effective dose
The pages linked above outline what to do at each step – follow the links and follow the instructions and you will be able to make a great presentation.
Don’t cheat on these steps. The next time someone asks you to make a presentation, just follow one at a time… Don’t go adapting previous presentations and PPT documents you have already made, start from scratch…
…and even if you prefer other ways to make your presentation, you will still need to deal with 5 basic steps. I can tell you now that the most efficient way is not opening PPT and just getting started on your visual support! Design your presentation first!
NOTE: This is not about making nice PPT documents, but building the whole presentation. PPT is referenced in the entry on building content…
If you have questions, don’t hesitate to contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have comments, add them.
And if you want more ideas, follow me on Twitter of subscribe to this blog by entering your email address above/right…